Monday, April 13, 2015

Beets & Sweets

My friend Sarah inspired me to start blogging again and I love her for it. Sarah is a yoga instructor and incredible at creating healthy, delicious recipes. She JUST started her blog but everyone should check her out and follow her for some really inspirational posts at The Way Om.

Ok, on to the food!

I'm always up for trying new foods or foods I thought I hated when I was a child when my taste buds didn't know any better; at least that's my excuse. That being said, somehow I've continued to avoid beets like the plague until recently. I think they are kind of like brussel sprouts, you just have to cook them the right way...and by "the right way" I mean add bacon. Bacon makes everything better and don't try to pretend like you don't know it!

This beautiful photo is from WWJME but without the beet greens.

I found this recipe at What Would John Mack Eat. I pretty much follow it as is (minus scallions), but I also cook the beet greens. Cooking the greens adds a ton of nutrients including fiber, protein, Vitamins C, K, A, B6,B2, Iron, Copper, Potassium, Manganese, Magnesium, Calcium and others.

Obviously eating the whole plant adds a bunch of nutritional benefits so I don't peel the sweet potatoes either. Leaving the skin on adds extra fiber, Vitamins A, C, E, Folate, Potassium and Iron and still tastes just as amazing.
Wasn't planning to post this when I took a picture. No judging!

To cook the Beet Greens:

I cut the greens off the stem right where the leaves end, wash then dry them then simply put some of the extra bacon grease in a pan on medium high and tossed them in. I leave them in there and toss them around a few times over about 10 minutes. Whenever they look good to you take them out, cut them a bit and toss in with the beets and sweet potatoes.

I love this dish SO much I usually do 2 large sweet potatoes and 3 beets. And obviously ALL bacon. I'm always looking for new and creative ways to cook vegetables if anyone has any recipes!



6 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! Detailed recipe, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the words, "What Would John Mack Eat" it's a hyperlink and will take you to the recipe! Hmm... but I'll add how I cooked the greens.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the shout-out! You inspire me as well. I couldn't agree more about bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish is really great the healthy benefits of beets with the delicious taste of sweetness the kids are gonna love this. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete