Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bottomless Pit? I think not...

A few weeks ago I had a mom and dad tell me that they were concerned about their baby because every time he would drink a bottle, he would vomit. The dad says to me, "you know, like reflux."Valid concern thus far. I see infants with mild to severe reflux on a weekly basis.  Now an infant his age should be getting between 24 and 32 ounces of formula per day. Come to find out, they are giving him about 90 ounces of formula a day. Umm... hello? Your baby is not a bottomless pit. Only so much goes in before it starts coming back out, by any means necessary. But wait! It gets better! Positive that their baby had reflux, they informed me that they started putting baby cereal in all of these formula bottles to "keep it down." When I told them that their baby in fact did not have reflux, but that they were overfeeding him, they looked at me with blank stares.

And the Obesity epidemic is passed on to another generation. Congratulations parents.


Feeding your baby

No comments:

Post a Comment