Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lori's Paleo Brownies

In the spirit of Valentines Day I'm sharing some love. <3

Lori @ What Runs Lori posted the other day about paleo brownies she made. Obviously I had to try them! I changed her recipe slightly but still basically the same. I'm going to put Lori's recipe on here so you can check it out or just go to her page so you can see what her brownies looked like. They did look a little different than mine.

I think I accidentally made Cake??

Makes 8 small cookies. Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free.
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 heaping tbsp honey
  • few drops of liquid Stevia (or additional tablespoon honey)
  • 2 extra-large eggs, or 3 smaller egg
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a medium sized bowl, mix together the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Let sit for one minute (for the coconut flour to soak up some of the liquid- trust me, resting the batter helps)- then mix again until all ingredients are completely mixed. The batter should resemble regular brownie batter- not too wet, and not too dry, either- slightly sticky.
If needed, add in more vanilla extract and/or olive oil or melted coconut oil.
Shape one tablespoon batter into small cookie shapes and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake on middle rack for 8-10 minutes, or until desired softness or crispness is achieved. Under-baking creates be best “brownie” texture.
Ok! That was her recipe. What did I change? I didn't have stevia so I used 3 tbsp honey. I did add some extra coconut oil (didn't use any olive oil). And I had "large" eggs so I used 3. I didn't have parchment paper either so I buttered a glass baking dish and just poured all the batter in there. I also ended up baking them for about 20 minutes. Maybe that is why they turned out looking like cake! I liked the taste but wouldn't mind them being sweeter. ThankS to Lori for sharing this recipe!!
Do you guys have any paleo dessert recipes you want to share with me?? :)









9 comments:

  1. The brownies look great. I fell off the carb wagon last night and fell into a hugh bowl of your dad's popcorn. It was so, so good. I'll be back on the carb wagon today. I think I got my fix. I am down 10 pounds this morning.
    Wedding pics look so beautiful. See you Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 lbs?! That's awesome mom!!! And hey it could be worse... You could have hade pizza.., lol

      Delete
    2. We almost did. lol, truly. But I can resist pizza.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They were kind of adorable too! They were tinny little squares.

      Delete
  3. I've definitely never tried coconut flour (or paleo stuff) but those look good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever SMELLED coconut flour?? It smells like cookies!

      Delete
  4. YUM! I tried them as brownies- in one pan- and they didn't turn out that great for me, but yours look very good! I'm actually obsessed with this recipe as cookies- I'll have to try out your style.

    :) SO glad you tried the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete